Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Six Years Ago

Today is a bittersweet day. Six years ago, we went to the doctor and in one breath, our hearts were broken. We were told that our baby had a rare syndrome, a cystic kidney that would never work, and I was in preterm labor at 6 months pregnant. The doctor looked at us and said, "I would strongly consider terminating this pregnancy" (which could only be done in Kansas and Colorado). In one moment our dreams came to a complete stop.  I sat outside the office trying to process what was going on. We went through some tests and went home without knowing what to do. All we knew was that we needed prayers and God knows- people prayed for us everywhere. We weren't asking for a perfect child, we were praying for guidance, what to do? What would be the best decision for our family? And we got an answer and a miracle. Six years ago, the doctor was right. Our son has only one working kidney, he has a rare syndrome, and I was in preterm labor. However, he was wrong with his solution. Science is amazing, but it only gets us so far and then God steps in. The doctor was right about some things, but his sonogram machine didn't show him that my son was going to be amazing. He wasn't able to see that my son would change my life completely and give me purpose. He was blind to not see that we would fall completely in love with a perfectly imperfect boy. A boy who continues to prove everyone wrong; a boy who has more determination and motivation than anyone I have ever met; a boy who makes my soul burst with pride; a boy who amazes me and touches everyone's heart who meets him. The doctor couldn't tell me that the man I married would become my strength, the person I could trust and rely on for everything. The blood tests would never have shown that the man who suffered so much loss already would be an amazing dad and fight for our son before he was born. No tests could've told us that we have a marriage and family built on strength and faith and nothing can knock us down. No diagnosis will ever compare to the love, joy, and peace I have as I lay with the man I chose to spend my life with and the little man God has chosen for us. We are abundantly blessed, and today I celebrate the best decision we ever made- FAITH!


No comments:

Post a Comment